Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My First Ever Blog Post

In light of the political changes that are happening as I write this, I have decided to start this blog to express my thoughts, concerns, and hopes regarding the politics of this great country. It is my goal to remain very respectful and proper in my comments. I hope that my thoughts will cause others to think and then to share their thoughts so that we can all come to a better understanding of what our nation faces and the course that we should take.

For those of you who know me, I have strong opinions, but I also realize that others have strong opinions which may be contrary to mine. I think we are all best served when we let ideas clash. I have never shied away from letting ideas clash. History is littered with attractive and well intentioned ideas that appeared to be good ideas, but they were never debated and lead to serious problems. I hope that we let the clash of ideas allow us to weed out those that deserve to be left behind.

I consider myself a conservative. That means that I typically support republican candidates, but there are a number of republicans that I would have a hard time supporting because they are not conservative. In another entry, I will further define my political beliefs. I am a fiscal conservative, a social conservative, and a security/foreign policy conservative.

I will post my thoughts on various subjects. I also will share articles and books that I read. All of this in the hope of sharing ideas that I come across with those who I have emailed such items in the past and to consider these ideas from all angles. I welcome comments and will from time to time post the ideas of others.

All ideas and opinions that I express are my own. They do not represent ideas or opinions of my current, former, or any future employer. They also do not represent statements for my Church where I have the privilege of serving.

Let the blogging begin.

Eric J. Nuss

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Wow. You and mom both have blogs now. My parents are cooler than I am.

And as for the content of the blog, its going to be a long four years. We need to get back to true conservatism and constitutionalism. The Constitution must be our go to document for government.

Britt said...

You have at least one friend with you in the wilderness, and I suspect many others as well. A number of times over the past few weeks I've read and re-read President Uchtdorf's talk from the Saturday morning session of General Conference, "The Infinite Power of Hope." To say that the message is timely is to understate its importance for all of us. {F}

Anonymous said...

Eric,

Good luck with your new blog. I will be checking in regularly.

Here are a few open questions:

1) What do you think of the Tom McClintock congressional victory in California?

2) Who should lead the GOP in the senate? (Coburn, Inhoffe, Thune?)

3) Who should lead the GOP in the house? (Pence, Musgrave, Foxx?)

I'd like to hear what everybody has to say.

Darrin

Bradford said...

Your blog's name has a cousin in "A Way Out of the Wilderness", an article in today's WaPo by Mormon Arizona Congressman and every earmark's nemesis, Congressman Jeff Flake (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/04/AR2008110403872_pf.html).

I remember being very impressed with Tom McClintock during the CA recall debates and was sad he didn't win. He's a stellar addition to Congress.

McConnell will lead the GOP in the Senate. But were Thune to lead, his central casting looks and affability would quickly have the pundits mention him among the 2012 crowd.

I vote for Pence to lead the House GOP. Principled and a rigid fiscal conservative.